Welcome to the Messy Middle Road Trip podcast. Have you officially become an empty nester? Looking to retire? Feel overwhelmed with maintaining a big property? At this stage of our lives, the majority of us have collected a lifetime of memories and things that can be difficult to part with and regardless of how easy Marie Kondo makes it look. The thought of purging items based on whether or not they bring joy can be paralyzing never mind walking away from a house that may have seen your toddler’s first steps and more recently, an epic high school graduation party.
Midlife can be filled with a million transitions so how do we know if it’s the right time to make a move? Luckily, we have Lesley Lambert joining us in the convertible today to help guide us through the decision making process. Lesley is a 31-year real estate professional with Park Square Realty in Westfield, MA. Over the years she has been a manager, trainer, coach and speaker in the real estate field. She specializes in using the internet and online resources to market the homes she represents for sale. She holds the E-Pro and Seniors Real Estate Specialist designations which meets the special needs of maturing Americans when selling, buying, relocating, or refinancing residential or investment properties. She has been named Top 25 Women to Watch in Western Massachusetts and Women of F.I.RE by Banker and Tradesman which stands for finance, insurance and real estate. We know you’ll love it, so hop in the convertible and let’s hit the road.
On today’s show, we’ll chat with Lesley about the top reasons why people decide to downsize in midlife. We’ll also discuss the following:
- Why timing is key.
- The difference and benefits with condominium living vs. over 55 communities.
- Options for people that want to maintain a home in their hometown and snowbird somewhere warmer during the colder months.
- Tips to help make the transition to purge items that are no longer needed.
- The best way to decide what to keep, toss and donate and how to navigate the emotional attachment.
- The best way to find a team to work with during the move.
- Ways to work through the emotions that can erupt as we say goodbye to the neighborhood where our kids learned to ride their bikes or a favorite neighbor that we met for coffee every week.
- Trends with middlers looking for types of homes, amenities and area.
We hope you enjoyed this episode of The Messy Middle Podcast and feel inspired to assess the value of your home and ask yourself whether it might be time to find that seaside property you’ve always dreamed of or move into a city apartment to experience cafes, museums and theater in midlife.
If you enjoyed today’s episode, please head over to iTunes and leave us a rating and review to help us reach even more women fearlessly navigating the middle of life. Don’t forget to visit us on Facebook or Instagram to see what’s happening over there.
We’re looking forward to our next road trip with you. Until next time thanks for riding shotgun.
You might also enjoy: