Today, we’re joined by Barbara Paulo, a Master colorist and hair designer with Salon Solace in Easthampton, Massachusetts. Barbara is the founder of Shear Xtreme and Beauty to Be which specializes in weddings and special events. Barbara has been in the business for over sixteen years and has grown with her clients, many of which are boldly transitioning to gray, silver or white hair. We’re going to get the scoop on why going gray can be empowering in midlife and Barbara will share tips on the best way to ditch the dye and feel beautiful.
There is such a stigma attached to women with gray hair. Images in the media show bespeckled grandmothers baking cookies and evil witches that live in gingerbread houses. But going gray can be powerful too with more women running triathlons and starting their own businesses. Barbara shares her view on trends towards changing the narrative with more women deciding to embrace their natural color as it transitions. We know you’ll love it, so hop in the convertible and let’s hit the road.
On today’s show, we learn:
- What causes hair to turn gray, silver or white?
- Does stress cause white hair?
- Why does the texture change?
- From a health standpoint, why is it a good idea to ditch the dye?
- If someone is ready to transition gradually, how long does the process take?
- Are there things we can do to make the transition easier?
- Is it true that women can experience hair loss when they stop coloring their hair?
- Does plucking out a gray hair cause 10 more to grow in its place?
- What skin tone works best with gray, silver or white hair?
- Are there tips for finding the right cut and maintaining healthy, natural hair as we age?
- What if we transition to all-natural hair only to find that we hate it? What are our options?
- Is the job of a master colorist and hair designer paired with supporting someone emotionally to find their courage to take that bold step towards going natural?
To connect with Barbara or schedule a complimentary gray consultation, you can visit www.shearxtreme.com and email her at firstname.lastname@example.org or connect on social media at www.facebook.com/Shearxtremesalon or www.instagram.com/shearxtremesalon
We hope you enjoyed this episode of The Messy Middle Podcast and feel inspired to proudly let those gray hairs shine and know that you can still be a badass silver vixen in midlife.
If you enjoyed today’s episode, please head over to iTunes and leave us a rating and review to help us reach even more women fearlessly navigating the middle of life. Don’t forget to visit us on Facebook or Instagram to see what’s happening over there.
We’re looking forward to our next road trip with you. Until next time thanks for riding shotgun.
You might also enjoy:
EO17: GOING SOLO – TIPS TO TRAVEL ALONE AND LOVE IT
EO29: TOXIC BODY BURDEN: WHAT ARE THE SIGNS OF A HAIR DETOX AND HOW CAN YOU SPEED IT UP
EO63: PART ONE THE MAGNIFICENT MIDLIFE WITH RACHEL LANKESTER
EO63: PART TWO THE MAGNIFICENT MIDLIFE WITH RACHEL LANKESTER